wanderlust continues
For all of you playing along at home, here's the rough itinerary for my winter break:
December 12-18: Hannah goes with a friend to Varanasi, reputedly the dirtiest, crowdedest, holiest Hindu city in India, and the site of Shusaku Endo's fabulous novel Deep River. I'm determined to get there before I leave this country. But meanwhile, I'm going backpacking with three other friends. Originally we planned to go into the mountains, but then we learned that on this side of the globe winter happens in December, so we're staying at a slightly lower altitude and trekking near Corbett Tiger Reserve. I think I heard that it's not eating season for tigers these days.
December 19: Hannah and I rendezvous at the Mendies' house in Delhi and embark on a forty-hour train ride to Goa. I'm either going to write a novel or read several of them on that trip.
December 20-January 12: We'll split this time between lounging on the beaches in Goa and lounging on the beaches and backwaters in Kerala. Goa is a tiny southern state with lots of hippies, European package vacationers, seafood, and Portugese colonial influence. We'll likely avoid most of the rave scene and stay in Benaulim, a relaxed town where lots of Woodstock staff gather. Kerala is even further south, with backwaters. I haven't yet figured out what backwaters are, but I want to ride a boat down them.
January 13-17: Another non-AC (cheap class) train takes us to Bombay/Mumbai where we'll meet Doug and Theresa and cheer them on in the marathon they're running. Also, Hannah may demand that we try to volunteer as extras on a Bollywood movie set.
January 18-30: Until recently, we had planned to fly to Kathmandu to extend our visas and visit the orphanage that Hannah volunteered at a few years ago. For a variety of reasons we decided to save that money, which means we'll probably have to leave Woodstock a month before school year ends. So this week and a half is still wide open. There's no lack of good options, and it's a great open space to have.
I'll have periodic email access over the break, so write and write with gusto, friends.
December 12-18: Hannah goes with a friend to Varanasi, reputedly the dirtiest, crowdedest, holiest Hindu city in India, and the site of Shusaku Endo's fabulous novel Deep River. I'm determined to get there before I leave this country. But meanwhile, I'm going backpacking with three other friends. Originally we planned to go into the mountains, but then we learned that on this side of the globe winter happens in December, so we're staying at a slightly lower altitude and trekking near Corbett Tiger Reserve. I think I heard that it's not eating season for tigers these days.
December 19: Hannah and I rendezvous at the Mendies' house in Delhi and embark on a forty-hour train ride to Goa. I'm either going to write a novel or read several of them on that trip.
December 20-January 12: We'll split this time between lounging on the beaches in Goa and lounging on the beaches and backwaters in Kerala. Goa is a tiny southern state with lots of hippies, European package vacationers, seafood, and Portugese colonial influence. We'll likely avoid most of the rave scene and stay in Benaulim, a relaxed town where lots of Woodstock staff gather. Kerala is even further south, with backwaters. I haven't yet figured out what backwaters are, but I want to ride a boat down them.
January 13-17: Another non-AC (cheap class) train takes us to Bombay/Mumbai where we'll meet Doug and Theresa and cheer them on in the marathon they're running. Also, Hannah may demand that we try to volunteer as extras on a Bollywood movie set.
January 18-30: Until recently, we had planned to fly to Kathmandu to extend our visas and visit the orphanage that Hannah volunteered at a few years ago. For a variety of reasons we decided to save that money, which means we'll probably have to leave Woodstock a month before school year ends. So this week and a half is still wide open. There's no lack of good options, and it's a great open space to have.
I'll have periodic email access over the break, so write and write with gusto, friends.

1 Comments:
Hi Jon, it's cicely. I heard you didn't post on this, but apparently I was wrong. I do get occasional updates from your friend Becca..I tried emailing you a while back but it didn't go through. Life in GR is going well for me; I am doing Americorps which is proving to show me what I already knew about myself--I hate working in offices. I am lucky in that I am doing some community organizing--and I love that aspect, something I didn't know before.....so, email me your real email, will ya? mine: cicelywiers@yahoo.com you can read my blog if you want: www.xanga.com/cwiers81
I hope you are doing well, you are missed.
Post a Comment
<< Home